UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
Established in 1972. UNEP is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda and promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system.
UNEP works on delivering transformational change for people and nature by drilling down on the root causes of the three planetary crises of climate change, nature and biodiversity loss, and pollution and waste.UNEP
It depends on voluntary contributions for 95% of its funding.
It is Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya.
United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA)
United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) is the governing body of the UNEP.
UNEA is the world’s highest-level decision-making body on the environment, with universal membership of all 193 Member States.
UNEP also hosts the secretariats of many critical multilateral environmental agreements.
- The Convention on Biological Diversity
- The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
- The Minamata Convention on Mercury
- The Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions
- The Vienna Convention for the Protection of Ozone Layer and the Montreal Protocol
- The Convention on Migratory Species
- The Carpathian Convention- a subregional treaty to foster the sustainable development and the protection of the Carpathian region (Europe’s largest mountain range)
- The Bamako Convention- Treaty of African nations prohibiting the import into Africa of any hazardous waste.
- The Tehran Convention- Protection of the Marine Environment of the Caspian Sea
- Our Planet;
- Atlas of Our Changing Environment;
- Global Environment Outlook.
Awards by UNEP
- Champions of the Earth is the United Nations’ highest environmental honor.
- UN Environment is a founding partner of the SEED Awards, which support innovative, small-scale, and locally-driven entrepreneurs around the globe who integrate social and environmental benefits into their business models.
- The UN Environment Sasakawa Prize recognizes outstanding individuals and organizations for their contributions to the protection of the environment and the promotion of sustainable development.
- The Faith for Earth Initiative: UNEP launched the Faith for Earth Initiative in November 2017. The goal of Faith for Earth is to strategically engage with faith-based organizations and partner with them to collectively achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and fulfill the objectives of the 2030 Agenda.
You may also like
Read Important Topics for General Studies
|Ramsar Sites in India
|Ecological Pyramids- of Numer, Biomass, and Energy
|Eutrophication and Algal Bloom
Please leave your valuable feedback/suggestions. Share this article with your friends and other aspirants.
Follow us on FACEBOOK