Indian tribes form a very important part of the Government job exams. There is always a high probability of a few questions being asked about the information relating to these tribes. In this article, we have discussed a few very important Indian Tribes which have a high probability of being asked in UPSC/ UPPSC/ BPSC and all other Government job Exams.
Indian Tribes: BHILS
- Spread across MP, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Maharashtra & North Eastern part of Tripura.
- Popularly known as bowmen of Rajasthan.
- Largest tribe of South Asia.
- They speak Bhili- Indo Aryan Language.
- Baneshwar fair is the main festival during shivratri.
Indian Tribes: MUNDA
- Jharkhand, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, WB and Odisha.
- They speak Mundari- Austro Asiatic language.
- Christianity is the main religion.
- They believe in Singbonga- Sun God.
Indian Tribes: SANTHALS
- West Bengal, Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand and Assam.
- One of the largest tribes in India.
- They waged war against the permanent settlement of Lord Cornwallis in 1855.
- They speak Santhali- Austro Asiatic language.
- Engaged in fishing, hunting & cultivation.
- They do not have any temples of their own and do not believe in idol worship.
- They follow Sarna religion.
Indian Tribes: GONDS:
- Chhindwara districts of MP, Bastar districts of Chhattisgarh and parts of Maharashtra, AP and odisha.
- Largest tribe in Central India.
- They speak Gondi- related to Telugu and Dravidian language. In Northern parts they speak Hindi.
- 4 Gond tribes- Raj Gonds, Madia Gonds, Dhruv Gonds and Khatulwar Gonds.
- Keslapur Jathra is the important festival.
Indian Tribes: KHASI
- Mainly in Assam and Khasi and Jaintia hills of Meghalaya.
- They speak Khasi – Austro Asiatic language.
- Most of them follow Christianity.
- Property is passed on from mother to the youngest daughter.
- Nongkrem is the major festival celebrated.
Indian Tribes: BAIGA
- Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, MP and Odisha.
- Forest dwelling aboriginals from Central India.
- Do not interact with other tribes.
- Tattooing is an integral part of their lifestyle.
Indian Tribes: BIRHOR
- Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Odisha.
- Proto-Australoid tribe.
- 2 major sub tribes- Jaghis birhor(wandering, shifting cultivation) and Uthalu birhor (settled, agriculture).
Indian Tribes: CHENCHUS:
- AP, Karnataka and Odisha.
- They speak Chenchu language with Telugu accent.
- One of the primitive tribal groups as they are still dependant on forests and do not cultivate land.
- They inhabit the Nallamalai hills of AP.
Some Important Topics you may like:
Please leave your valuable feedback/suggestions. Share this article with your friends and other aspirants.