Ramsar Wetland Sites in India is one of the most important topics from Environment and Ecology. Several Questions are asked in various exams from this particular topic. In this article, we have discussed the meaning of Ramsar Sites, their location in India, and the Montreux Record.
- At the time of joining the Convention, each Contracting Party undertakes to designate at least one wet- land site for inclusion in the List of Wetlands of International Importance.
- There are over 2,300 Ramsar Sites on the territories of 170 Ramsar Contracting Parties across the world.
- The countries with the most Sites are the United Kingdom with 170 and Mexico with 142.
- Bolivia has the largest area under Ramsar protection.
Ramsar Sites in India
- As of February 2019, there are 27 Ramsar Sites in India.
- Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala and Punjab have three wetlands each.
- West Bengal, Orissa and Rajasthan have two wetlands each.
- Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Tripura, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Assam, Madhya Pradesh, Manipur Jammu & Kashmir have one wetland each.
List of Ramsar sites in India
|Ramsar Sites of India||Location|
|Asan Conservation Reserve||Uttarakhand|
|Beas Conservation Reserve||Punjab|
|Bhoj Wetlands||Madhya Pradesh|
|Chandra Taal||Himachal Pradesh|
|East Kolkata Wetlands||West Bengal|
|Hokera Wetland||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Keoladeo Ghana National Park||Rajasthan|
|Keshopur-Miani Community Reserve||Punjab|
|Kolleru Lake||Andhra Pradesh|
|Nalsarovar Bird Sanctuary||Gujarat|
|Nangal Wildlife Sanctuary||Punjab|
|Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh|
|Parvati Agra Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh|
|Point Calimere Wildlife and Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu|
|Pong Dam Lake||Himachal Pradesh|
|Renuka Lake||Himachal Pradesh|
|Saman Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh|
|Samaspur Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh|
|Sandi Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh|
|Sarsai Nawar Jheel||Uttar Pradesh|
|Sunderbans Wetland||West Bengal|
|Surinsar- Mansar Lakes||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Sur Sarovar||Uttar Pradesh|
|Tsomoriri||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Upper Ganga River||Uttar Pradesh|
|Vembanad Kol Wetland||Kerala|
|Wular Lake||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Bhindawas Wildlife Sanctuary||Haryana|
|Sultanpur National Park||Haryana|
|Thol lake wildlife sanctuary||Gujarat|
The Montreux Record
- The Montreux Record is a register of wetland sites on the List of Wetlands of International Importance where changes in ecological character have occurred, are occurring, or are likely to occur as a result of technological developments, pollution or other human interference.
- It is maintained as part of the Ramsar List.
Question. If a wetland of international importance is brought under the ‘Montreux Record’, what does it imply? (UPSC CSE Prelims 2015)
A. Changes in ecological character have occurred, are occurring, or are likely to occur in the wetland as a result of human interference.
B. The country in which the wetland is located should enact a law to prohibit any human activity within five kilometers from the edge of the wetland
C. The survival of the wetland depends on the cultural practices and traditions of certain communities living in its vicinity, and therefore the cultural diversity therein should not be destroyed
D. It is given the status of ‘World Heritage Site’
NCERT SUMMARY CLASS 6- READ HERE
Please leave your valuable feedback/suggestions. Share this article with your friends and other aspirants.
“Sharing is Caring
Follow us on Facebook- HERE